Friday, November 18, 2016

Letter from Ramsgate by Suzan Lauder 3 Stars - Darcy Didn't Prove Himself to Me


Letter from Ramsgate

Letter from Ramsgate by Suzan Lauder


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although this was an interesting and enjoyable variation, there is just something about it that doesn't sit right with me. After thinking about it, I determined I never felt Darcy redeemed himself adequately.

In this variation, Elizabeth is in Ramsgate and plays a critical role in getting Darcy to arrive in time to stop Georgiana from eloping with Wickham. She and Darcy become immediate friends, and slowly begin to fall in love. However, when Darcy does propose at Hunsford, and the two are happily celebrating, Elizabeth says something that causes Darcy to believe she was in league with Wickham and Mrs. Younge in their plot. A major blow up ensues and Darcy rescinds his offer.

Much happens along the way and our dear couple have their HEA. In the original P&P, Austen demonstrates that Darcy has truly changed, as both a man and as a person, by showing him go out of his way to save Lydia, while keeping his involvement secret from Elizabeth. In this story, all has been resolved prior to Darcy's arrival, and, therefore, he does not have the ability to assist Elizabeth and her family. Although this suits another resolution the author chose, it left me hanging as to whether all of Darcy's fine words were really enough of a proof of his change and his future constancy to Elizabeth. He said all the right things, and there were a few minor things that demonstrated his attempts to change. However, I was left feeling like this Darcy had further to come than in canon, due to his treatment of Georgiana, a character called Lady Amelia, as well as Elizabeth.

We never see the Darcy Elizabeth meets at Pemberley in canon, being the respected and beloved master. She never hears Mrs. Reynolds praise him. And, although Bingley does return to Jane, it is not through any action on Darcy's part. Even Georgiana questions how he could treat his friend so and is so unromantic. The author shows us the self-serving, quick to judge, selfish Darcy, but in this tale we don't see Elizabeth receiving proof of his goodness and kindness.

So, although at the end Elizabeth chooses to trust and respect Darcy, in this story I was not convinced that I should. All in all, I did not feel a sense of satisfaction at the end of the story. The definition of 3 stars is "I liked it" and I guess that is the best I can do for this title.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I was caught on the choice not to have him be the rescuer of Lydia as well. I did think it was interesting how having him and Elizabeth swap places in the 'Hunsford' scene changed so much even the essentials of his personality.

    Enjoyed your thoughts, Barb.

    ReplyDelete