Friday, February 5, 2016

Threat of Scandal by Ayr Bray

Threat of ScandalThreat of Scandal by Ayr Bray
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I put this in my I won't finish shelf. I have always enjoyed Ayr Bray's books, but I read half of this one and did not enjoy it. There were two major reasons.

1. Georgiana is falling in love with a Duke and is told to forget him because he is too high above her socially. Really? My understanding was she was the granddaughter of an Earl. The Darcys are described as being in the very top circle of the ton. This just didn't make sense to me that she was hurting her and the Darcy name by overreaching for a Duke. Am I wrong?

2. I really did not like either Elizabeth or Darcy in their reaction to her budding relationship with the Duke. I found them very unsympathetic and even cruel telling her he would never consider her as a wife and to recognize he was only being nice to her to avoid the scandal. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! And, they were so worried about their and Georgiana's social standing. This just did not seem like the couple I knew from P&P who risked society's wrath with their own marriage.

This was just too out of character for me. The story was interesting, but when Georgiana's angst came from the Darcys, I had to call it a day.

Not recommended.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, agreed. Georgiana wasn't out of a Duke's sphere. I can see why that part hung you up.

    ReplyDelete